Ever looked at your bathroom and thought, “Could I add some green in here?” Well, you’re in the right place! If you’ve been scrolling through social media wondering which plants would love your bathroom, I’ve got some cool ideas for you.
Setting Up Your Green Corner
Starting with the basics, I added two Ikea shelves in each corner above our bathtub. These shelves are sturdy and stylish, perfect for holding plants. On the top shelf, I placed 10l (2 1/2 gallons) pots, which are spacious enough for the plants to grow comfortably.
Choosing the Right Plants
When I was choosing plants, I aimed for plants that naturally love warmth and humidity. Here’s my list I ended up with for this project:
- Aglaonema: Gorgeous leaves and super low-maintenance.
- Bromelia: It’s like having a slice of the tropics in your home.
- Monstera deliciosa: Those iconic, large leaves are a statement.
- Asplenium: A fern that genuinely enjoys the steam from your shower.
- Epipremnum: Ideal for a cascading green effect and also for climbing.
- Fittonia: Small but with vibrant, detailed leaves!
But remember, there’s a world of plants out there. When picking yours, think about those that don’t need a lot of soil, don’t need lots of light, thrives in high humidity – think epiphytes, like Bromeliads, Orchids, Aroids or Ferns.
Why I Chose LECA Over Soil
To avoid turning our bathroom into a mud pit, I used LECA balls instead of soil. Here’s why they rock:
- Breathable: They ensure plant roots get plenty of air.
- Moisture-Retentive: They keep plants hydrated without waterlogging them.
- No Overwatering Worries: Excess water drains out easily.
- Reusable: Just rinse them off, and they’re ready for the next plant!
While these plants are forgiving with light, they still need some. I installed a straightforward LED strip (12V and 4000K) to ensure they’re happy and healthy. It also adds a lovely ambiance to the bathroom.
I hope this post inspires you to add a touch of nature to your bathroom. It’s not just about aesthetics – surrounding yourself with plants boosts your mood. So, why not make every bath or shower feel like a tropical retreat? Dive in and enjoy your new green space!