Heliconia bihai x caribaea ‘Kawauchi’
Scientific name: Heliconia bihai x caribaea ‘Kawauchi’
Distribution: Central and South America
Flowers (inflorescence): 5 to 12 orange-red with a broad gold-yellow lip erect bracts; red rachis shading to yellow; flowering during summer.
Mature height: 12-14 feet (3-4 m)
Soil: rich organic and well drained without standing water
Light: full sun to 40% shade
Watering: love water, but let them dry a bit between waterings
Hardiness: not lower than 5°C (40°F)
Heliconia bihai x caribaea ‘Kawauchi’, known for its remarkable stature and vibrant inflorescence, is a stellar addition to any tropical landscape. Often regarded as a favorite for screening due to its tall growth, Kawauchi stands out with some of the largest and most striking blooms. Its commanding presence can enhance privacy while adding an exotic touch to gardens.
This hybrid boasts an erect inflorescence featuring 5 to 12 distichous bracts that flaunt a captivating red with a broad gold-yellow lip. The basal bract carries green over most of the keel, and the rachis transitions from red to yellow between the upper bracts, creating a breathtaking display of color and form.
Not only does ‘Kawauchi’ have an aesthetically pleasing appearance with its lush green foliage and orangy-red bracts edged with yellow, but it also possesses a tight clumping and upright growth habit.
Perfect for those requiring height in their garden design, Heliconia bihai x caribaea ‘Kawauchi’ maintains a true tight clump throughout its life, ensuring a full and robust appearance. Its summertime blooms of red and yellow-tipped bracts are a sight to behold, offering a burst of color when the garden most needs it.
Ideal for a range of light conditions from full sun to 40% shade, ‘Kawauchi’ is versatile in its care requirements and can reach an impressive height of 12 to 14 feet (3-4 m). The bracts, resembling lobster claws, are a textural delight with a waxy coating that adds to their luster.
Transform your landscape into a tropical sanctuary with Heliconia bihai x caribaea ‘Kawauchi’. Its towering bracts and vivid colors are sure to captivate and create a luxurious retreat in your own backyard. Whether you’re designing a private screen or a tropical showcase, ‘Kawauchi’ is a must-have for its enduring beauty and stately charm.
We ship them as rhizomes, treated and packed according to phytosanitary requirements.
Heliconia Planting and Care
Firstly, when planting Heliconia rhizomes, whether in the garden or in pots/containers, it’s essential to provide the best possible conditions for growth.
Specifically, in the garden, plant in the spring or early summer when soil temperatures are above 65°F (18°C).
Garden: Consequently, choose a spot with partial to full sunlight (4-6 hours of direct sunlight is ideal).
Pots/Containers: Similarly, select a location on your patio or balcony that meets the same sunlight requirements.
Garden: Moreover, amend soil with compost or well-rotted manure to create a rich, well-draining environment. The soil should be slightly acidic to neutral, with a pH of 5.5 to 7.0.
Pots/Containers: Furthermore, use a high-quality potting mix designed for tropical plants, ensuring it has good drainage.
Plant rhizomes horizontally with growth points facing up, 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) below the soil surface.
Garden: Space rhizomes about 2 to 3 feet (60 to 90 cm) apart.
Pots/Containers: In addition, choose a pot that is at least 18 inches (45 cm) in diameter and the same in depth to accommodate the plant’s growth.
Initially, water thoroughly after planting, then maintain consistent moisture without waterlogging.
Garden: Consider drip irrigation for consistent moisture.
Pots/Containers: Ensure pots have drainage holes and saucers to prevent excess water retention.
Apply a 2 to 3 inch (5 to 7.5 cm) layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant, keeping it away from the stem to prevent rot.
Use a balanced fertilizer like a 10-10-10 NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium), or a 14-14-14 if slow-release. Apply according to the product’s instructions.
Garden: Protect from cold with frost cloths if temperatures drop below 65°F (18°C).
Pots/Containers: Move indoors or to a sheltered area during colder temperatures.
Repotting (for pots/containers):
Finally, repot every couple of years to refresh the soil and provide more room for growth. When repotting, move up to a pot that is 2 to 4 inches (5 to 10 cm) larger in diameter.
By adhering to these guidelines, you’ll help ensure that your Heliconia rhizomes have the best start, whether they’re in the ground or in containers. Remember to adjust care slightly based on your specific environment and the needs of your particular Heliconia variety.
Terms & Conditions
- ePackage: Thai Royal Mail + your national postal service. Available for orders under 4.4lbs (2kg). Normally it takes 10-14 days;
- EMS: Expedited shipping. It takes also 10-14 days;
- Dragon Courier: Covered with our Live Arrival Guarantee. Dragon Courier ships out of Thailand and do the custom clearing, which makes it passing quicker through the customs. Then they hand it over to DHL or UPS for domestic delivery. The package is always stored in the room temperatures even winter time. Shipments take 5-6 working days for Europe and Canada, and 5-8 days for the USA.
- Correct address and contact details of recipient - We should have been provided with correct address and contact details including cell number and email. The shipment must be sent to the correct delivery address, and not forwarded to another address. P.O.Box is not acceptable as the shipping address.
- First delivery attempt - The shipment must be received on the first delivery attempt, or be picked up the day of the first delivery attempt. If you miss the delivery and the package is delayed a day or more because of it, we will not accept responsibility for any losses. It is your responsibility to check the tracking number for delivery, even if courier does not leave a "pink slip" notifying you they tried to deliver the package.
- Clear photo provided within 24 hours – You need to send us a clear picture or video of the full plant in issue with its name, explaining what’s going on within 24 hours upon receipt.
- Package was shipped by Dragon Courier – In case you choose postal E-package, eCommerce Express or EMS, you accept the risk and no compensation will be issued.
Apple Pay is available on iOS devices.
Google Pay or Microsoft Pay is available, if activated on your browser.
You will get the tracking info once the order is shipped.
Importer Permit USA There is a limit of 12 plants you can import without having importer permit issued to you by USDA. If your order is more than 12 plants, please email us your importer permit after ordering. If you don't have one you can get it here. On the top of that page you will see a drop-down named “Ready to Apply?” and “Select an option”. Select there option “PPQ-587” and proceed with the application. It is easy and free online procedure. You don't need the importer permit for orders up to 12 plants.
Other countries For other shipped countries no importer permit is needed for any amount of plants.
- Disinfect the plant 2 days before shipping;
- Remove soil on day of shipment;
- Clean roots with water until ALL soil is removed;
- Spray 0.03% imidacloprid over plants and dry 30 min;
- OR dip roots for 3 minutes in fungicide and Confidor solution (get sucked up by the plant);
- After that we place all in drying room for 45 min;
- Then we add sterile sphagnum to the roots and wrap this in plastic bag;
- We wrap roots in plastic bag and wrap plant in special designed, clean paper for export, and pack;
- We use new, never used card board boxes, that are tested and approved by ALL Global airfreight standards and ISO requirements.
Specification: Heliconia bihai x caribaea ‘Kawauchi’